Watch CBS News

Investigation Underway In Deadly Deputy-Involved Shooting

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

OAKLAND PARK (CBSMiami) -- Authorities are investigating the circumstances leading up to a deadly deputy-involved shooting in Oakland Park on Tuesday.

Broward Sheriff's deputies said the shooting happened after they had tried to stop the 24-year old man numerous times.

Around 4:30 a.m., a deputy stopped him after spotting him allegedly driving recklessly on I-95 near Cypress Creek Road. When the deputy called for DUI detectives, the man drove off.

Later in the day, deputies spotted the man's car again and tried to stop him but he sped off again.

Just after 2 p.m. detectives were able to find him and follow him, this time to the Floranada Apartments in the 1300 block of NE 50th Court.They again tried to take him into custody but deputies said he would not comply.

Broward Sheriff Scott Israel said the deputy was forced to fire after the deputy had ordered the  man out of his car.

"The suspect was at gunpoint," Israel said. "Instead of complying the suspect reached between his legs. Our deputy reached out to see what the suspect was grabbing. The suspect was grabbing a large caliber revolver. A struggle ensued. Our deputy was forced to fire," said Israel.

The man was rushed as a trauma alert to Broward Health Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

BSO said he had been arrested before for drug and gun charges, including shooting into an occupied building.

Late Tuesday, two friends of the man shot and killed by the deputy said they wish deputies had handled the situation differently.

"(My friend) did not fire his weapon so, I understand he took off on the police twice already but I mean there's other ways to go about things," the woman named Brittany said, declining to give her last name.

Brittany also said that she spoke with the man Tuesday morning and he told her that he fled from a deputy in the early morning hours. The other friend, Stephen Henry, said the man had spent time in prison and told him that he did not want to go back to prison.

The shooting affected residents and a school nearby. Gunfire startled business owners and residents in the secluded neighborhood.

Keishla Rodriguez remembers a deputy telling her to get to safety.

"He said, 'There's a shooting at your apartment so you need to get in your house,'" she said. "I was terrified."

Business owners said they were surprised by the shooting.

"I saw police cars rushing up the street and I thought this was some type of undercover operation," said Bill Ward who heard gunfire.

Business owner Greg Doctor said he heard the gunfire and rushed out of the front door of his dog grooming business.

"I saw police scrambling by," said Doctor. "I heard four or five gunshots and could smell the gunpowder."

During the shooting, as a precautionary measure, Floranada Elementary, that is across the street from the apartment building, was put on lock-down. While there were no classes in session because of summer break, the school hosts a summer camp.

Sheriff Israel said they have not released the identity of the man who was killed in the deputy-involved shooting because as of Tuesday evening they had not notified his next of kin.

The video of Israel speaking to the media can be seen by clicking below.


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.