DALLAS (1080 KRLD/CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Johnny Manziel is trying to reassure a judge concerned that the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback isn't being serious about the conditions of getting his domestic violence case dismissed, saying his "life is trending upward" and that he is "taking care of this." Manziel also told the judge, "I'm taking this responsibility... I need to get my life in order... These are the things I need to do."
Dallas judge Roberto Canas called the hearing Tuesday because Manziel missed a deadline to provide the court an update on how the former Cleveland player was meeting stipulations that include him participating in a substance-abuse program through the NFL or something similar.
"Not everybody who comes here gets this kind of opportunity," said Judge Roberto Canas. "Because right now, you're in charge of what happens to your case. Mr. Manziel gets to decide whether this case gets dismissed or not."
The 24-year-old Manziel faced a misdemeanor charge that carried a penalty of up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine after he was accused of hitting and threatening former girlfriend Colleen Crowley during a night out in January 2016.
Last year, the embattled football star cut a deal with the DA office. Part of the deal required him to stay away from an ex-girlfriend – after she accused him of assault. Pictures posted online show the pair at the same nightclub – over the new year's holiday. Today the judge asked Manziel if he was taking this seriously – and how he felt about his case:
Manziel explained he was slow to meet the conditions because of the NFL's handling of substance abuse issues, and said he planned to work through the players' association:
"I don't always have the most trust in the NFL, based on past situations. Based on other players, and how they've gotten treated. So I was very cautious in that regard," said Manziel.
(© Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
for more features.