FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) - A man and his dog are dead after flames swept through their Fort Worth home early Friday. It happened at about 12:20 a.m. in the 2800 block of Finley Street, and arson investigators are now at the scene.
Flames and smoke were shooting from the roof of the single-story home when firefighters first arrived. Neighbors told officials that a man lived at the residence, but they had not seen him outside yet. Emergency workers battled the flames and found the man and his dog both dead inside of the burning structure.
Family members and friends identified the man as 72-year-old Waymond Green. This was the house where he grew up. A second dog is still missing from the home.
Firefighters had the blaze under control in less than 10 minutes. However, just before entering the burning home, there was a "minor blast" inside, according to a statement from the Fort Worth Fire Department.
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined. Arson investigators arrived at the scene and are working to find out what sparked the flames and what may have caused that small explosion.
Regardless of the cause, friends and family members said that Green will be missed. "He's just a wonderful person. His whole family," said Rev. Milton Pace with Saintsville Cathedral of Fort Worth.
"It's a shock," added Larkus Mills, the victim's cousin. "I'm still trying to get over the shock, because I just talked to him last week on his birthday."
for more features.