Watch CBS News

Family Sues Gas Company For Death Of 12-Year-Old Girl In Dallas

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - A memorial service was held for Linda "Michellita" Rogers Saturday-- one year after she died in a natural gas explosion.

"This has lifted the family up in what would otherwise be a terrible situation," said John Barr, the family attorney.

The pastor at the service said it was a service of hope. Rogers' cheerleading coach shared stories, describing her as "angelic with a bright smile."

Her Sunday school teacher said she remembered Linda as humble, and a good friend to her own daughter.

Rogers' family released video of her final moments. One year ago, the Rogers home exploded and killed the 12-year-old. Her mother, father and brother were left injured.

"My husband has my daughter in his hands," said Maria Rogers. "He finds my daughter. So my husband gave to the daughter. So the fireman has 'Michellita' on the floor. I was on the floor, too, and kiss my daughter and say, 'Fight like the warrior.'"

Two other homes on the same block where the Rogers lived also caught fire days before the explosion.

Barr is suing ATMOS, the gas company, after Dallas Fire-Rescue blamed all three incidents on natural gas.

ATMOS said in a statement they live in the communities they serve and said they are intensely dedicated to safety.

Maria said she believes her daughter would still be alive if the gas company would have replaced the cast-iron pipes in her neighborhood.

"I remember they say, 'I'm sorry. Michellita passed away,'" said Maria. "So they broke my heart, and I remember I was crazy. So I went run and run and say, 'No, Michellita, no!'"

The family said they want the natural gas provider to improve safety in other parts of North Texas.

One year later, ATMOS said it's replaced 98 miles of pipes in that neighborhood

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.