Watch CBS News

David Ortiz Recovering At MGH; Suspect Brought To Court

BOSTON (CBS/AP) – David Ortiz is "resting comfortably" at Massachusetts General Hospital after having a second surgery since he was shot in the Dominican Republic, his wife said in a statement Tuesday.

In her first public comments since her husband was wounded, Tiffany Ortiz said the Red Sox legend "is stable, awake, and resting comfortably this morning in the ICU where he is expected to remain for the next several days."

Police escorted Ortiz to MGH late Monday night after the Red Sox provided an air ambulance to fly him back to the city. Ortiz spokesman Leo Lopez said the procedure was a two-hour exploratory surgery.

David Ortiz
The Boston Red Sox held a moment of reflection for David Ortiz at Fenway Park on June 10, 2019. (Photo by Kathryn Riley /Getty Images)

"On behalf of me and my family, I want to thank John and Linda Henry, Tom Werner, Sam Kennedy and the Boston Red Sox for all that they are doing for David and our family, as well as Dr. Larry Ronan and the amazing staff at Massachusetts General Hospital," Tiffany Ortiz said in her statement released by the Red Sox.

Related: Ortiz Takes First Steps After Surgeries

"Lastly, I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of support and love that we have received during this incredibly difficult time. We ask for privacy as David works towards recovery."

Ortiz was shot once in the back late Sunday night as he sat outside a bar in Santo Domingo. He was rushed to a local hospital where doctors removed his gallbladder and part of his intestine. His liver was also damaged in the shooting. When he woke up, his surgeons said Ortiz immediately asked about his family, according to CBS News.


Eddy Vladimir Féliz Garcia, who had a 2017 arrest for drug possession, was one of several people in custody as of Tuesday afternoon, a law-enforcement official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to release details of the investigation.

Eddy Vladimir Feliz Garcia - David Ortiz Shooting
Eddy Vladimir Feliz Garcia is transferred by police to court in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, on June 11, 2019. (Photo credit ERIKA SANTELICES/AFP/Getty Images)

A police car carrying Féliz Garcia drove up to a shipping container serving as a makeshift courtroom on Tuesday evening, and sat there for about a half-hour before driving off again. Court officials said the hearing had been delayed because Féliz Garcia's charging documents had not arrived in time. He was brought back about 10 p.m. for charging.

A spokesman for prosecutors, Erick Montilla, said Féliz Garcia was charged as an accomplice to an attempted murder.

His lawyer, Deivi Solano, said Féliz Garcia had no idea who he'd picked up and what was about to happen when he stopped to take a fare.

"He didn't know what they were going to do. He's a fan of David's," Solano said.

Later, Julieta Tejeda, spokeswoman for the national prosecutor's office, told reporters via WhatsApp that a second arrest had been made in the investigation. She declined to provide further details.

Ortiz is 43 years old. He retired after the 2016 season and lives at least part of the year in the Dominican Republic. He also has a home in Weston. The Red Sox retired his number, 34, in 2017.

(© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.