Watch CBS News

Man Accused Of Pulling Fire Alarm At Steelers Hotel Says He's A Patriots Fan

SOUTH BOSTON (CBS/AP) -- The man police say pulled a fire alarm early Sunday morning at the hotel where the Pittsburgh Steelers were staying was arraigned in South Boston Municipal Court Monday.

A State Police report says Dennis Harrison, 25 of East Boston, told officers he "got drunk and did something stupid" on a dare because "the Steelers are staying here."

dennis harrison false fire alarm
Dennis Harrison in court Monday. (WBZ-TV)

Harrison pleaded not guilty to charges of disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, and setting off a false fire alarm.

The Boston Fire Department said the alarm was pulled around 3:05 a.m. at the Logan Airport Hilton--but there was no fire.

Everyone was evacuated to the building's lobby, and all were let back in their rooms before 4 a.m. when investigators determined it was just a false alarm.

State Police said it was Harrison who pulled the alarm, and arrested him on the hotel grounds. They said he was not a guest at the hotel, and had no legitimate reason for being there--and his attorney later said he made incriminating statements to police.

hotel fire alarm
Hotel guests evacuated to the lobby after the false alarm was pulled. (Photo courtesy KDKA)

The Suffolk County District Attorney's office said Harrison posted $100 bail after his arrest.

The Pittsburgh Steelers were staying at the hotel ahead of the AFC Championship game, which they lost 36-17 to the Patriots Sunday night.

In court Monday morning, Harrison told WBZ-TV's David Robichaud that he was a Pats fan and went to the game after posting bail.

Harrison's attorney said his client, a "die-hard" Patriots fan, may have been drunk at the time. He also said Harrison played high school football and is embarrassed.

Some fans praised Harrison, but the Boston Fire Department says this is no laughing matter. "This is not a harmless prank, it has consequences," said Boston Fire Spokesman Steve MacDonald. "You are playing with people's lives. This was a very dangerous game."

He was released on personal recognizance and ordered to stay away from the hotel. He's due back in court Feb. 13.

(TM and © Copyright 2017 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.