Watch CBS News

Severna Park High School students, parents shaken after 'non-credible' threat of violence

Severna Park High School students, parents shaken after 'non-credible' threat of violence
Severna Park High School students, parents shaken after 'non-credible' threat of violence 02:30

BALTIMORE -- Roads were closed off and four schools were put on a hold status Tuesday morning due to a violent threat made to Severna Park High School. 

After investigating, police said the threat was determined to be not credible. 

Severna Park High School, Severna Park Middle School, Benfield Elementary School, and Broadneck High School were all placed on a hold status.

While in a hold status, students and staff can move about the school but cannot exit the building. 

A heavy police presence was in the area as officers investigated the reported threat.

Parents and students were shaken up after a nerve-wracking two hours.

Jaclyn Medina told WJZ she received an unsettling text from her son and then heard sirens heading toward his high school.

"He said they were on lockdown, that he was safe, and they were hiding and the lights were off," Medina said.

When Medina arrived at Severna Park High School, it was surrounded by Anne Arundel County Police while a crowd of worried parents looked on.

Medina said that, unfortunately, this wasn't the first scare she had seen.

"We lived in Washington state where there was a school shooting and it did not end well, so that was the first thing that went through my mind," she said. "So a lot of stress and freaking out at the moment. I think that's more what drove me here and be there for my kid."

Anne Arundel County Police responded around 9:30 a.m. after a threat was reportedly called in. 

"The call was for potential phone threats indicating there was going to be possible violence directed at the high school, so out of an abundance of caution we deployed resources and began investigating," said Justin Mulcahy, spokesperson for the Anne Arundel County Police Department.

Junior Shyanne Harkleroad said she could see the police response from the window of her classroom where she tried to stay calm.

"I was also scared because I was right in line with the door, so if there was a shooter, I would be really vulnerable," Harkleroad said.

The holds were lifted around 11:30 a.m. when parents were reunited with their children.

"it's a relief, but you know, it's always in the back of your mind," Medina said.

Anne Arundel county police said they won't release any details about the threat itself because they don't want any "copycats."

However, police will continue their investigation to determine where the threat came from.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.