Watch CBS News

Burglary Suspect Killed In Police Pursuit, Shooting Near I-95 Rest Stop

ABERDEEN, Md. (WJZ) -- Police in Harford County shoot and kill a burglary suspect who led them on a high speed chase ending at a popular Maryland rest stop on I-95.

Derek Valcourt has details on what unfolded and the man at the center of the case.

Turns out, the suspect was an accomplished drag racer and he apparently put those skills to use trying to avoid capture.

Investigators swarm the Maryland House rest stop on I-95 in Harford County after a violent high speed pursuit ends there. Police opened fire, killing the suspect, identified as 29-year-old Rajsaun McCray of Washington D.C., who has a long criminal history in Maryland.

It all started just before 2:30 a.m. Friday morning at a Target store when an Aberdeen police officer responding to a burglary alarm saw McCray running away.

"He attempted to stop that suspect. However, the suspect rammed the Aberdeen police officer with his car. The police officer was injured, his patrol car was disabled," said Greg Shipley, Maryland State Police spokesperson.

That's when other Aberdeen police officers began chasing McCray in a red Dodge Caliber. WJZ has learned McCray knew a thing or two about high speed driving. In fact, he's featured on the Quarter Mile Brothers drag racing website as having won multiple races in a '68 Camaro.

State police joined Aberdeen police on a pursuit throughout the area. At one point, they chased him onto I-95 north and onto I-95 south, with the suspect apparently ramming police vehicles along the way.

WJZ found one of the damaged police vehicles with red paint scratches apparently from the suspect's car. The chase reached speeds of 100 miles per hour before state police stop-sticks punctured one of McCray's tires, causing him to exit into the Maryland House rest stop.

"He, apparently, again rammed additional police vehicles and drove towards police officers who were attempting to stop him," said Shipley.

Officials say, fearing for their lives, three state troopers and an Aberdeen police officer opened fire, shooting McCray in his vehicle.

"Your heart breaks for the person that lost his life, but it's so scary knowing that those people are out there doing things like that and then puts all these other people in risk knowing that he had to be shot," one woman said.

The officers involved have been placed on routine administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.

The injured Aberdeen police officer has been treated and released from the hospital.

Other Local News:

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.