Watch CBS News

Homicide Suspect Shot Dead In Emeryville I-80 Police Standoff

EMERYVILLE (CBS SF) -- A homicide suspect who led police on a chase onto busy Interstate 80 in the East Bay was shot dead during a tense freeway standoff with police that had halted traffic in both directions of the busy freeway.

80 standoff kpix
Police and CHP in a standoff with a suspect SUV on Interstate 80 in Emeryville, September 27, 2017. (CBS)

The Richmond Police Department was pursuing the suspect's black SUV west on I-80 around 9 a.m. when California Highway Patrol officers successfully used a spike strip on the vehicle at University Avenue, according to the CHP.

According to Richmond police Lt. Felix Tan, the chase originated in Fairfield and Richmond police got involved when it passed through their jurisdiction.

"The person connected to homicide was spotted in Richmond, he failed to yield and led them on a pursuit," said Fairfield Police Lt. Rob Lenke.

After running over the spike strip, the vehicle struck a concrete barrier and came to a stop west of Powell Street, where Richmond police engaged in a standoff with the driver and CHP officers provided traffic control for public safety.

After the vehicle stopped, the tense standoff began with police vehicles lined up about 40 yards away and officers pointing their weapons at the SUV.

Eventually, the male suspect held his hands out of the window without a weapon in them, but when he opened the door and stepped out, he appeared have drawn a gun and aimed it at the officers.

He was immediately shot multiple times by officers and went down. A police dog rushed up to the fallen suspect and began trying to drag him, but quickly let go and ran back to its handler.

"It was pretty clear that the individual was not cooperating and fired a shot somewhere near the officers or at the officers," said Emeryville Police Capt. Oliver Collins.

A Fairfield police spokesman later confirmed the suspect had died of his injuries after being taken to a hospital. The unidentified man was wanted in connection with a 2015 homicide in Fairfield.

Dozens of shell casings were seen on the ground marked by investigators. A handgun and clip were seen on the ground where the suspect was shot.

Eastbound lanes were reopened shortly after 11:00 a.m., according to the CHP. Westbound lanes were reopened at 5:00 p.m., eight hours after they were closed.

Emeryville police have taken up the investigation.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.