APOLLO (KDKA) – A woman and several children are recovering after they were hurt in during a fireworks show in Apollo Thursday night.
James Riggle was one of thousands packed in and around Owens Stadium in Apollo last night. All were enjoying the Fourth of July fireworks display when something went wrong.
"Everything was going okay then I saw one go off on the ground," Riggle said.
Seven minutes into the show an errant firework launched into some nearby spectators.
Those standing at or near the impact zone essentially felt the effect of a hand grenade - burns, cuts and shrapnel wounds.
Five minutes later I [saw] ambulances coming with lights on,"
When the shell exploded, a woman suffered a severe head laceration and burns. Several children suffered puncture wounds as a result of projectiles from the mortar shell.
"I had a young lady come over here, her mother was here, she had burns on her leg," Riggle said. "She was pretty much in shock, surprised."
For Riggle, it's a night he won't soon forget.
"Never saw that happen before and I've been here for 30 years. Never saw that happen before," Riggle said.
The conditions of those injured are not being released at this time.
Stay With KDKA.com For More Details
for more features.