Watch CBS News

Person Hospitalized For Exposure After Ammonia Leak In Strip District

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) - Emergency responders filled the streets of the Strip District after an ammonia leak forced workers outside and sent one person to the hospital.

It happened at Consumers Produce on 21st and Railroad Street. Ammonia filled the air and one person from a nearby facility was sent to the hospital.

The streets are back open and the scene in clear, but things looked a lot different Tuesday afternoon.

ammonia leak strip district
(Photo: KDKA Photojournalist Aaron Sledge)

City of Pittsburgh Assistant Chief of Risk Management Brian Kokkila said contractors were performing maintenance on a system in the building when the leak happened. They were able to quickly secure the leak, but public safety crews said you could smell the ammonia in the air, comparing the odor to a really strong window cleaner.

"This system and the control room in place, they've got a great ventilation system and will take care of 90 percent of the problems, letting residual numbers go down," said Kokkila.

City fire officials said this isn't the first time they've been called to Consumers Produce for a leak. They said they've been there a few times over the last two and a half years.

Meantime, fire officials say the sunshine and breeze helped dissipate the residual smell pretty quickly.

Everyone is back inside the building.

EMERGENCY COMPONENT - LOCAL

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.