PITTSBURGH (KDKA) -- A Pittsburgh Public Schools board member introduced a resolution to begin the school year online amid the coronavirus pandemic.
On Wednesday when the district presented its health and safety plan for the fall, Kevin Carter proposed that the first nine weeks of the school year move online to help mitigate risk and give the district more time to prepare.
The district said more than 4,000 students have already enrolled in full-time e-learning for the fall. Families have until Aug. 30 to enroll.
- 'It Didn't Go Well For Our First Time': Pittsburgh Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Anthony Hamlet Speaks About Remote Learning On District's Last Day Of School
- 'Providing Access To Computers To Marginalized Students Is A Game Changer', PPS Supt. Says As District Works To Get Technology To Students
- 'It Is A Herculean Task': Online Classes Start Up For All Pittsburgh Public Schools Students Amid Coronavirus Outbreak
- 'Slow's Better Than Never': Classes Begin Tomorrow For Pittsburgh Public Schools Seniors
- Pittsburgh Public School To Begin Remote Learning On April 16
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh: City School Teachers Pick Up Laptops To Prepare For Remote Learning
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh: PPS Teachers Are Preparing For Online Classes, But 41 Percent Of Families Don't Have Adequate Access To Technology
- Coronavirus In Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh Public Schools Plans to Begin Online Instruction In April
- Pittsburgh Public Schools Sending Families Home Technology Survey
Those who don't choose e-learning will be enrolled in a model that includes in-school and online learning that follows an AA/BB cohort schedule. Some students will attend school on Mondays and Tuesdays before participating in online learning on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. The others will take in-person classes on Thursdays and Fridays and go online on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Wednesdays will be used for cleaning the schools.
The school board plans to vote on the resolution on Aug. 4 and will seek public comment on July 29.
for more features.