Watch CBS News

Tesla Vehicle Bursts Into Flames, Burns For Hours In Monroeville

Follow KDKA-TV: Facebook | Twitter

MONROEVILLE (KDKA) -- A Tesla vehicle was on fire for hours Wednesday night in Monroeville.

It happened at Smeltz Auto Service on Monroeville Road.

tesla fire 1
(Photo Credit: KDKA)

Firefighters say the vehicle caught fire in February in a garage in Fox Chapel.

The vehicle was towed to the shop in Monroeville on Wednesday and somehow caught fire again.

Forensic engineers say electric car batteries are unstable.

"We removed the car from the garage. A Tesla engineer removed the fuse from the battery pack prior to transport, indicating that would make the car safe for transport. We brought it here to Monroeville, arrived around 3:30 in the afternoon, and about 6:20, the car spontaneously caught fire," forensic engineer David Bizzak said.

tesla fire 2
(Photo Credit: KDKA)

The car burned for about four hours before firefighters were finally able to put out the flames.

EMERGENCY COMPONENT - LOCAL

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.