Watch CBS News

Jets' Cornerback Darrelle Revis Facing Robbery, Assault Charges After Fight

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) -- New York Jets cornerback, former Pitt star and Aliquippa native Darrelle Revis was injured after getting into an altercation on the South Side. Now, police say they have filed charges against him.

The 31-year-old NFL star's lawyer told KDKA-TV he was assaulted by a group of five people when he came home to visit family and friends over the weekend.

STATEMENT BY BLAINE JONES LAW, Representing Darrelle Revis:

Mr. Revis came home to Pittsburgh this past weekend to visit family and friends. During that time, Mr. Revis went by a location in the Southside that he is in the process of developing. Mr. Revis was physically assaulted while at that location by a group of at least 5 people. Mr. Revis feared for his safety and retreated from the aggressors. Mr. Revis was not arrested after this incident. Mr. Revis sought medical attention as a result of the aforementioned attack.

Pittsburgh police say the incident occurred around 2:30 a.m. Monday near the intersection of South 23rd and East Carson streets.

Investigators say a 22-year-old male from Kittanning was walking along E. Carson Street when he spotted a male who resembled NFL star Darrelle Revis. He asked if the man was Revis and he confirmed that he was.

That person then began following him and recording him.

Police say Revis allegedly snatched the cell phone away and attempted to delete the video. Another 21-year-old male from Ross Township attempted to help the 22-year-old get the cell phone back.

That is when Revis allegedly tossed the phone into the street.

The three men began arguing and a fourth man came to assist Revis.

Both the 22-year-old and the 21-year-old state they were punched and knocked unconscious in the street, then remember waking up to talk to police. Sources say the injured men were taken to the hospital, one with broken bones around his eye.

Revis' attorney, Blaine Jones, says his client was a victim.

"I am stating that Revis was not the aggressor in this situation. He did not initiate the physical contact; he was in fear of his safety," Jones said at a short news conference Thursday night.

Jones said Revis was worried that the cell phone might have been a gun. Police recovered the broken cell phone, but they have not made any of the video public.

Charges filed against Revis include robbery, terroristic threats, conspiracy and aggravated assault. It's not known when Revis will be in court to be formally arraigned on the charges.

Court papers quoted a witness to the fight as saying Revis approached him, stating: "I got more guys coming, and do you want to be next?"

Jones said Revis was "1,000 percent the victim. He tried to retreat."

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.