Watch CBS News

Indiana Co. Amish Woman Dies After Laundry Accident

SMICKSBURG (KDKA) -- An Amish woman from Indiana County died this week after an accident while she was doing laundry.

Ella Miller, 32, was doing laundry in a pot over an open flame early Monday morning.

State police say she threw some kerosene on the fire in an attempt to intensify the heat, but that caused an explosion which caught her clothing on fire.

Miller suffered first, second and third degree burns. At her request, she was treated with home remedies by family and neighbors.

Miller died Wednesday morning after an infection set in. The cause of her death is listed as septicemia and severe thermal burns.

State police say no foul play was involved.

People in Smicksburg say a viewing was held Thursday afternoon and a private funeral is planned for Friday.

Neighbors say Miller leaves behind a husband and six children.

More Local News
More Indiana County News
More Reports By Trina Orlando

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.