WILKINSBURG (KDKA) -- It was a busy night for firefighters in Wilkinsburg.
An apartment building with several businesses below went up in flames overnight not once but twice. Several people who live there rushed to safety and now the Allegheny County fire marshal is trying to figure out how it started.
When the fire re-ignited, firefighters poured water on the building for a good while.
A convenience store and salon are on the ground floor.
Jim Mullins, with Impact Redevelopment, knows the salon owner. She came by to look at the water damage.
"The salon, they do a lot for the community. I know for a fact people who can't pay to get their hair done. They've done it free for them," Mullins said.
Mullins owns the building next door.
"I got a call around 5 this morning and thought it was 900 Wood and thought maybe we were on fire. We were not but these people unfortunately here were burned out," said Mullins.
Investigators said a man was sent to the hospital with burns, and 10 people had to evacuate.
"I have a friend of mine that's up there and he's in tears," said Mullins. "Where are they going to go. That's the main thing."
Pittsburgh Public Safety believes the fire started in the back of the building.
Meantime, other people who live in the community are still processing it all.
"Just shocked. Can't believe it happened like that," said Mark Fisher of Wilkinsburg. "I just hope it works out for everyone."
Until things are figured out, the Red Cross is helping the people who are now without a home, find a place to stay.
for more features.