Watch CBS News

Fire Rips Through 2 Homes In Rochester, Sparks Explosion

ROCHESTER (KDKA)- Firefighters were called to the scene of a big fire and explosion in Rochester Friday morning.

The fire started around 12:30 a.m. at a vacant building on the corner of Lacock Street and Maryland Avenue.  The fire was so intense, it spread to an occupied home next door.

While the fire was spreading, a big explosion went off.

"All I know is there was a propane heater, I guess it exploded," said witness Robert Morland. "Just happy everybody is out, the kids are out, adults are out."

Neighbor John Baycura ran to the house to make sure two adults and a small child inside could get out.

"I pounded on the door to wake them up," Baycura said. "I yelled, 'Hey, the house next door is on fire. Everybody better get out.'"

Four of the couple's other kids were staying elsewhere last night.

The propane tank that exploded was located in between the homes.

There are no injuries reported and the displaced family is staying with relatives.

Crews had issues getting the fire hydrants to open and hoses freezing because of sub-zero temperatures. Extra crews were brought in to help relieve them from the cold.

The county fire marshal is looking into the cause of the fire.

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.