UNIONTOWN (KDKA) -- Several people are homeless after a fire destroyed a Fayette County apartment building Thursday evening.
The flames broke out around 6:25 p.m. in the 100-block of Liberty Street in Uniontown.
The State Police fire marshal officially ruled the cause of the fire as arson. They are investigating reports that a young boy playing with matches or fire might have started the fire.
Ten people, including four children, lived in the building.
The apartments are owned by the Uniontown City Mission, which provides housing to families who need assistance and support. The building was the City Mission's first permanent housing complex.
"It's just a very personal loss, when you work so hard to build something. It feels very personal. We're heartbroken for the families. We're heartbroken because we're stuck with the shell of a building that was really one of the most revitalized buildings on the street," Uniontown City Mission Executive Director Irmi Gaut said.
The apartment building is about 10 years old and cost more than $600,000 to build.
Most of that money came from charitable donations and government grants. The Uniontown City Mission plans to help the homeless residents find new places to live.
The city mission is working on setting up a Facebook page where people can donate clothing and other personal items as well.
For now, the Red Cross is helping the displaced families with food, shelter and clothing.
Gaut said they've set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for the fire victims with the goal of raising $20,000.
If you'd like to donate, click here.
People can also call the Uniontown City Mission itself to make donations at (724)-439-0201.
Stay with KDKA for the latest on this developing story.
for more features.