PITTSBURGH (KDKA)- Due to the extreme cold, the City of Pittsburgh has announced warming centers that will be up and running.
This morning. bundled-up commuters hurried around Downtown.
"Waiting for the bus in the morning, it's really cold," one woman said. "I even have heating pads in my shoes."
However, there are many who don't have the means to keep warm with clothing or shelter. Some of them went to Shephard's Heart Fellowship on Pride Street, which is one of two emergency shelters in Allegheny County.
"With the severe weather, we're open 24/7. We never shut down," Rev. Mike Wurschmidt said.
Cots and mats are provided for women in need overnight when temperatures reach 25 degrees or below. Both men and women can stay throughout the day for food, a hot shower and receive blankets and coats.
"Right now, we have 60 to 75 folks that are hurting and have no place to go and we have breakfast every morning and showers, laundry, morning prayer service," Rev. Wurschmidt said.
Today, all 24 Citiparks Community Centers, including 10 recreation centers and 13 Healthy Active Living Centers will be open.
The centers will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. to help residents through the dangerously low temperatures and wind chills.
The Recreation Centers are:
- Ammon, 2217 Bedford Avenue, Hill District
- Magee, 745 Greenfield Avenue, Greenfield
- Paulson, 1201 Paulson Street, Lincoln-Lemington
- West Penn, 450 30th Street, Polish Hill
- Jefferson, 605 Rednap Street, Central Northside
- Arlington, 2201 Salisbury Street, Arlington
- Brookline, 1400 Oakridge Street, Brookline
- Ormsby, 79 S. 22nd Street, South Side
- Phillips Park, 201 Parkfield Street, Carrick
- Warrington, 329 E. Warrington Avenue, Beltzhoover
The Healthy Active Living Centers are:
- Glen Hazel, 945 Roselle Court
- Greenfield, 745 Greenfield Ave.
- Hazelwood, 5344 Second Ave.
- Homewood, 5344 Second Ave.
- Lawrenceville, 4600 Butler St.
- Morningside, 6944 Presidents Way
- Brighton Heights, 3515 McClure Ave.
- North Side, Allegheny Square
- Northview Heights, 533 Mt. Pleasant Rd.
- Mt. Washington, 122 Virginia Ave.
- Sheraden, 720 Sherwood Ave.
- South Side Market House, 12th St. & 1 Bedford Square
- West End, 80 Wabash St.
The city will also be operating four warming centers on Saturday and Sunday. Those centers will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Homewood Community Center, 7321 Frankstown Ave. 15208
- Brighton Heights Community Center, 3515 McClure Ave. 15212
- Sheraden Community Center, 720 Sherwood Ave. 15204
- South Side Market House, 12th St. & 1 Bedford Square 15203
In addition, all Pittsburgh police and other emergency personnel will be asked to check on the homeless and if necessary transport them to shelters or warming centers. Animal Control officers will also enforce the city law banning pets from being left outside in the extreme cold.
In Beaver County, officials are opening The Crossroads inside the Christ's Evangelical Lutheran Church as a warming shelter on Sunday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. The church is located at the corner of 11th Street and 4th Avenue in Beaver Falls.
Stay With KDKA.com For More Details
for more features.