Watch CBS News

Erie Teen Died At Off-Campus PSU Frat House After Inhaling Laughing Gas

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (KDKA) -- Investigators say a teenager who died last month at an off-campus fraternity house near Penn State inhaled nitrous oxide.

According to our sister station CBS Philadelphia, 17-year-old John Schoenig's death was ruled an accident by the Centre County Coroner's Office.

Authorities say the laughing gas stopped Schoenig's heart.

The Centre Daily Times reports Schoenig, of Erie, went into cardiac arrest and responders couldn't revive him.

The house was used by the Chi Phi fraternity. Penn State suspended the Alpha Delta chapter while they investigate.

The teen was not a Penn State student.

Stay with KDKA for the latest on this developing story.

EMERGENCY COMPONENT - LOCAL

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.