Watch CBS News

Man Killed In Peters Twp. House Fire

PETERS TOWNSHIP (KDKA) -- Crews battled a house fire in Peters Township late Thursday night.

The fire broke out at a home in the 200 block of Bower Hill Road just before 11 p.m. The home was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.

The Washington County Coroner said 84-year-old William Burton Phillips Sr. died in the fire. He was pronounced dead at the scene just after 1 a.m. Friday.

His wife, Naomi, was found in an upstairs bathroom. She had to be rescued by firefighters and taken to a local hospital. Donna Philips, her daughter, says she's in a medically induced coma.

"Two of the neighbors called me at night and said there's a fire at your mom and dad's house. The first call I got said it's in the garage – the other garage. If it was that garage, it wouldn't have been any big deal. When it was this garage, it's attached and that's basically how I found out," Donna said.

The Peters Township Fire Chief said Phillips was a retired electrician, who was working on a generator in his garage, after he lost power to his home because of a storm.

Donna Philips said her parents lived in the home since 1954. The couple was married for 68 years.

"He was Mr. Fix It. If you had a car that needed fixed, or a lawnmower, or a pair of scissors that needed sharpened, you brought them down to Bill," Donna said.

Fire crews finally cleared the scene just before 3 a.m.

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

Stay With For More Details

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.