Watch CBS News

Another Witness Comes Forward In Station Square Police Incident

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) -- A second witness to an alleged case of police brutality is speaking to investigators about the incident, which happened during Saint Patrick's Day weekend at Station Square.

The man is facing a number of charges in the incident. But the witness says he is very upset with what he saw.

"Just put an elbow, shoulder, and I mean right in the back of him, as hard as he could," the witness, who does not want to be identified, said. "It just dropped Eddie. He had no clue what was going on and it just… his face just skidded right off that ground. I mean, it had to be a foot that his face just skidded right off that ground."

The next thing the witness saw is what is what was captured in the cell phone video, Pittsburgh police officers - one striking Eddie Lojak in the back. It's a tactic described by police that is used to get a suspect to submit to attempts to handcuff him.

"His whole face was just blood," the witness said. "I mean from forehead to chin, it was nothing but blood."

Lojak was in Station Square on Saturday. Officials say his blood alcohol level was more than three times the legal limit.

His friend was under arrest.

Police say that's when Lojak tried to intervene, that he was aggressive toward officers and he was brought down in an attempt to get him under control, and that he hit his face and was injured because he was too drunk to brace his fall.

The witness didn't see it that way.

KDKA's Marty Griffin: "The police say he was approaching them in an aggressive manner. Was he?"

Witness: "No."

Griffin: "They said that his fists were clenched. Were his fists clenched?"

Witness: "No. Perfectly, just how I'm standing right here."

Griffin: "Was he combative?"

Witness: "Not at all."

Griffin: "Was he yelling?"

Witness: "No."

Griffin: "Did he say anything loud to the police officers?"

Witness: "Not at all."

Griffin: "He was standing there?"

Witness: "Standing there, just kind of watching it happen."

Lojak is now facing several charges including public intoxication, assault and drug charges. He turned himself into police on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the witness talked with Internal Affairs detectives Thursday evening.

"It could have been anybody," the witness said. "I mean I could have been standing there, just happened to be in the way."

KDKA Exclusive: Second Police Incident Caught On Camera (3/19/13)
Witness Speaks Comes Forward In Station Square Police Incident (3/20/13)
More Reports from Marty Griffin

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.