Latest trends in plastic surgery
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons reports that 15.6 million people in the U.S. underwent some type of cosmetic procedure in 2014, up 3 percent from 2013. One of the fastest-growing trends was in procedures to lift and tighten up body parts after massive weight loss, an apparent result of more people undergoing weight-loss surgery.
Women make up 92 percent of patients, but certain procedures are becoming increasingly popular among men. People between the ages of 40 and 54 account for nearly half of all cosmetic procedures. Keep clicking to see which surgeries are most popular and which are gaining fast...
Breast augmentation remains the most common plastic surgery procedure in the U.S. More than 286,200 women underwent breast enlargement surgery in 2014, a slight decline from 2013 but an increase of 35 percent since the year 2000. Silicone implants were used in 77 percent of cases, and saline implants in the remaining 23 percent.
Nose reshaping was the second most common plastic surgery procedure in 2014, with about 217,000 operations done in the U.S.
Liposuction was #3 on the list of most popular cosmetic surgery procedures, up 5 percent since 2013.
About 207,000 Americans underwent eyelid surgery in 2014, making it the fourth most common plastic surgery procedure.
Facelifts were #5 on the list of most common cosmetic surgery procedures. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons says about 128,000 Americans had a facelift in 2014, down 4 percent from 2013.
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons reports a big increase in the number of men undergoing breast reduction surgery, also known as gynecomastia. About 26,000 men had the operation in 2014, up 14 percent from 2013.
Tummy tucks, or abdominoplasty, are increasingly popular, with 117,000 of the procedures done in 2014 -- up 87 percent since the year 2000. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons believes the increasing number of tummy tucks, upper arm and thigh lifts are due to the fact that more people are having gastric bypass surgery and losing substantial amounts of body weight, leaving them with sagging skin.
Another trending procedure is dermabrasion, a minimally invasive process to smooth the skin. The number of patients has grown 12 percent since 2013.
Butt lifts & augmentation
Buttock surgery is less common but the numbers are growing rapidly. In 2014, about 11,500 people had augmentation surgery with fat grafting; 3,500 had butt lifts (a 44 percent increase since 2013); and 1,800 had buttock implants (a whopping 98 percent increase).
Breast lifts are also increasingly in demand, up 10 percent from 2013 to 2014, their largest single-year gain since the American Society of Plastic Surgeons began tracking them 2009. This procedure is also linked to an increase in people seeking cosmetic surgery following extreme weight loss.
Botox injections are by far the most popular minimally-invasive cosmetic procedure, performed more than 6.6 million times in 2014.
Read more: Weight loss surgeries fuel rise in cosmetic procedures