Watch CBS News

2-Year-Old Boy Seriously Injured In Barbeque Grill Fire On Memorial Day

NEW CASTLE, Del., (CBS) - Fire officials say a two-year-old boy was seriously injured in a barbecue grill fire in New Castle, Delaware on Memorial Day.

The incident happened at about 2 p.m. on the 200 block of East Hazeldell Avenue in Minquadale.

The Delaware State Fire Marshal's office says the fire began when a person used gasoline to start a barbeque grill. The gasoline vapors erupted into flames, burning the young boy who was nearby the grill.

The child was taken to Wilmington Hospital by a family member. He was then transferred to Crozer Burn Center in Upland, Pennsylvania with second and third-degree burns to his face and chest. He is listed in critical condition.

Fire officials advise gasoline is an extremely flammable liquid and should never be used as an accelerant for any method of cooking.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.