Watch CBS News

Trump to stay at Walter Reed for a few days after COVID-19 diagnosis

Trump taken to Walter Reed after COVID-19 diagnosis
Trump taken to Walter Reed medical center after COVID-19 diagnosis 07:34

President Trump has arrived at Walter Reed Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, where he will stay and work out of an office for the next few days "out of an abundance of caution," according to the White House. 

The White House press corps captured images of the president walking to Marine One, and waving to reporters. According to reporters present, he appeared to walk normally and without trouble. 

The trip to Walter Reed comes after Mr. Trump received a positive COVID-19 diagnosis overnight. CBS News has confirmed Mr. Trump has mild symptoms, including a low-grade fever. The first lady is not accompanying the president to the hospital. 

According to a memo from the president's physician, they decided to begin Remdesivir therapy. The president does not require supplemental oxygen at this time. 

"This afternoon, in consultation with specialists from Walter Reed and Johns Hopkins University, I recommended the movement of the president up to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for further monitoring," the president's physician, Sean Conley, said in a memo. "This evening I am happy to report that the president is doing very well. He is not requiring any supplemental oxygen, but in consultation with specialists we have elected to initiate Remdesivir therapy. he has completed his first dose and is resting comfortably." 

Conley said in an earlier memo Friday afternoon that the president was "fatigued" but remained in good spirits. Conley said an antibody cocktail dose has been given to the president, and he is taking vitamins. 

U.S. President Trump departs for Walter Reed Medical Center at the White House in Washington
U.S. President Donald Trump boards the Marine One helicopter to fly to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center after testing positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19, from the South Lawn at the White House in Washington, U.S., October 2, 2020. Leah Millis / REUTERS

White House press secretary said earlier in the day that, "Out of an abundance of caution, and at the recommendation of his physician and medical experts, the President will be working from the presidential offices at Walter Reed for the next few days."

Once the president had landed, his account tweeted out a video filmed today of the president saying he thinks he's doing well and he appreciates everyone's support. 

Vice President Pence took over a phone call Mr. Trump was supposed to host on seniors vulnerable seniors to COVID-19.

The positive COVID-19 diagnosis is keeping the president from in-person campaigning for now; planned events around the country have been canceled. It is unclear when the president will be returning to his normal schedule. 

According to an administration official, Vice President Mike Pence is at the Naval Observatory and remains in good health. 

White House communications director Alyssa Farah confirmed the president has not transferred power to Pence. 

"The president is in charge," Farah said. 

This is a developing story and will be updated. 

Risk factors increase Trump's odds for severe coronavirus illness 02:00
View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.