Family, friends peacefully remember Tony Robinson

A memorial has been set up to honor Tony Robinson, the unarmed 19-year-old black man who was shot and killed by a veteran white officer. So far, the people in Madison, Wisconsin, have heeded the police department's call for calm, but emotions are still raw, reports CBS News correspondent Dean Reynolds.

Hundreds responded to Robinson's death Sunday night with a peaceful prayer vigil, remembering the teen just steps from where he was fatally gunned down.

Teen killed in Madison after altercation with police

"I just want everyone to know what Tony was one of the best people I knew," Jack Spaulding said.

Robinson died Friday after an alleged altercation with veteran police officer Matt Kenny.

Kenny, responding to a disturbance call, trailed Robinson to his house and opened fire after the teen allegedly assaulted him. Madison Police Chief Mike Koval said Robinson was shot multiple times.

Although Robinson did have a conviction for armed robbery, his mother insisted her son was a gentle person.

"My son has never been a violent person-- never -- and to die in such a violent, violent way is -- it baffles me," Andrea Irwin said.

Koval said he had Ferguson in the back of his mind: "One: We had a person of color, a young man who was killed by the police, and secondly, that he was unarmed. So to that extent yes, I did have a Ferguson moment."

Unlike Missouri, where violent protests and looting carried on for weeks, so far, Madison appears to be coping with the tragedy its own way.

"Don't pass judgment; the facts will come out," Dane county Boys & Girls Club CEO Michael Johnson urged.

At the Fountain of Life Covenant Church, black men young and old sat down to talk about how to move forward.

"I think one Ferguson is enough, so I don't know why anyone would want another one. I don't think people are seeing the signs of another Ferguson," Alexander Gee said.

Instead of the local police, Wisconsin's Department of Justice is leading the investigation.

Kenny was involved in another shooting while on duty back in 2007, but was exonerated. He remains on paid administrative leave following this incident.