The 17-year-old singer, who was widely panned by the judges on the FOX reality show, has been making the publicity rounds since being voted off the show last Wednesday.
He attended the White House correspondents' dinner on Saturday night as a guest of People magazine and visited "Live With Regis and Kelly" on Monday morning.
During the brief visit with Letterman, Malakar rattled off this list of the top 10 "Things I Learned from 'American Idol' ":
Photos: Sanjaya Malakar
10. The camera adds 10 pounds to your Mohawk.
9. Work hard and make sacrifices, you can finish in seventh place.
8. It's very important to "Keep it real, dawg."
7. I should have gone for the immunity idol — oh wait, that's "Survivor."
6. On-camera Simon is a bit nasty, but off-camera, he's a total jerk.
5. Voting for yourself 100 times an hour causes some wicked carpal tunnel.
4. When you forget the words, just do this: (Sanjaya belts out a riff like "Ohhhhhhhh")
3. Honestly, I thought I was auditioning for "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?"
1. America loves performers with bad hair — right, Dave?
To watch Malakar on Letterman, click here.