Time now to take note ...
We learned this past week that the ocean liner SS United States may yet sail again.
The pride of America's passenger fleet at its debut in 1952, the United States has been idle and rusting at a Philadelphia dry dock for years.
Now, this past Thursday, Crystal Cruises announced a tentative plan to refurbish it at a cost of $700 million.
- Saving the SS United States ("Sunday Morning," 02/17/13)
For more info:
- SS United States Conservancy
- SS United States Redevelopment Project
- "A Man and His Ship: America's Greatest Naval Architect and His Quest to Build the SS United States" by Steven Ujifusa (Simon & Schuster)
- "Classic Liners: SS United States" by Andrew Britton (History Press)
We also learned of the death of Maurice White, the founder of the band Earth, Wind & Fire.
Named for the elements of White's own astrological sign, Earth, Wind & Fire mixed jazz and rock and blues and soul in a style all its own ... winning six Grammys along the way.
To hear Earth, Wind & Fire perform "September," click on the video player below.