A registered sex offender pleaded not guilty Friday to an alleged attack that prompted a search and the discovery of 11 bodies at his home.
Anthony Sowell, 50, appeared in court Friday and entered not guilty pleas to counts of rape, kidnapping, attempted murder and felonious assault. The charges stem from Sowell's arrest last month in a Sept. 22 sexual attack - accusations that led to the search of his home.
Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge John O'Donnell set bond at $1 million on the charges and continued Sowell's $5 million bond from last week, when he was charged with five counts of aggravated murder.
Sowell nodded when the judge explained his rights and shook his head no when O'Donnell asked if he could afford his own attorney. Wearing an orange jail jumpsuit with his hands cuffed in front of him, Sowell appeared engaged and alert, at times bouncing slightly on his feet.
Gayle Williams, assistant county prosecutor, said the woman who accused Sowell of rape remains very fearful of him and is concerned for her safety.
"She was only breaths away from becoming another victim of Mr. Sowell," Williams said.
O'Donnell appointed Brian McGraw to be Sowell's attorney. McGraw, who was not in court, had no immediate comment when reached by phone later.
Remains of 10 of the 11 victims found at Sowell's home have been identified, and funerals for the women are to continue this weekend.