At least nine people were injured at a Manhattan construction site Tuesday after reports of a carbon monoxide leak, the Fire Department of New York (FDNY) said. Several workers were rescued from a confined space at the construction site, CBS New York reported.
Five workers sustained minor injuries, while four others were in serious condition, according to FDNY. None of the injuries were considered life-threatening.
"We connected some ropes and some hardware to that, and were able to put the patients in a basket and haul them up," FDNY Chief of Special Operations John Esposito said, according to CBS New York.
Officials say the leak came from a gas powered generator in a basement on site where they were preparing to pour concrete.
"You're not supposed to be using generators," Esposito said. "They're supposed to be outside in a well-ventilated area."
The city's Department of Buildings says there were two of those generators in the basement, and they've since issued a full stop-work order. They've also slapped the site's contractor and management team with several violations for failing to keep things safe.
The DOB issued a permit for the residential building construction in September, and last inspected it a few weeks ago but found no problems.