Chef Marcus Samuelsson writes: "This dish is as fun to make as it is to eat. And it's good for you: Soba noodles are made with buckwheat flour, and your children may notice that the taste is milder than traditional wheat pastas. But just as important, it tastes good. The sauce is a mix of delicious flavors and textures: creamy peanut butter, soy sauce for salt, agave syrup for sweetness. Think of this dish as a kids' version of the popular Asian dish pad Thai -- be prepared for them to request it again and again."
From "Marcus Off Duty: The Recipes I Cook At Home" by Marcus Samuelsson. © 2014 by Marcus Samuelsson. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
Peanut Noodles with Slaw
Serves 4 to 6
For the Peanut Vinaigrette:
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. agave syrup
3 Tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
For the Noodles:
1 pound soba noodles (or ramen noodles or spaghetti), cooked until al dente
1 cup chopped romaine lettuce leaves
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
1 carrot, peeled and shaved with a vegetable peeler
4 Napa cabbage leaves, finely shredded
2 Tbsp. ripped fresh cilantro leaves
1/3 cup chopped roasted salted peanuts or cashews
Make the Peanut Vinaigrette
Whisk all the ingredients in a large bowl.
Make the Noodles
Add the noodles to the vinaigrette and toss until the noodles are evenly coated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the noodles are cold, at least 1 hour.
Toss in the lettuce, cucumber, carrot, and cabbage. Garnish with the cilantro and peanuts and serve.
- Recipe index: "Sunday Morning"'s 2015 "Food Issue" - Delicious menu suggestions from top chefs and the editors of Bon Appetit magazine
For more info:
- Red Rooster Harlem, New York
- "Yes, Chef: A Memoir" by Marcus Samuelsson with Veronica Chambers (Random House); Also available in Trade Paperback, eBook and Unabridged Audio CD formats
- "New American Table" by Marcus Samuelsson (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
- Follow Marcus Samuelsson on Twitter