From Bon Appétit's January 2018 issue, a treat from Claire Saffitz.
"This appetizer is so fast and easy, you can have it on the table within 10 minutes of walking in the door. Save any leftover oil, which has been flavored with the red pepper flakes and garlic, for another use like salad dressing."
Marinated Olives and Feta
Recipe by Claire Saffitz
Makes 2 servings
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
¼ cup jarred red curry paste
1 14.5-oz. can coconut milk
½ cup creamy peanut butter
3 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 Tbsp. honey
- Preheat oven to 400°. Drain 4 oz. olives and place on a cutting board. Lightly smash with the heel of your hand just to break apart skin and flatten slightly.
- Smash 3 garlic cloves and peel.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove peel from 1 lemon in long wide strips.
- Cook lemon peel, olives, garlic, ½ cup oil, and ½ tsp. red pepper in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, swirling occasionally, until garlic is sizzling and golden around the edges, 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crumble 3 oz. feta into a shallow serving bowl.
- Pour oil mixture over feta. Let sit at least 10 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, tear bread into large pieces and place in oven directly on rack. Bake until craggy edges are golden, 5-8 minutes. Serve with marinated feta and olives for dipping.
For more info: