Bobby Flay's Herb Roasted Turkey
1 17-lb. whole fresh turkey, rinsed well and patted dry
1 ¼ stick unsalted butter, slightly softened
2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 large stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 large onions, quartered
4 cups homemade chicken stock
1. Remove the turkey from the refrigerator 1 hour before roasting.
2. Combine the butter, sage, rosemary, thyme and parsley in a food processor and process until smooth, season with salt and pepper.
3. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Season the cavity of the turkey with salt and pepper and fill the cavity with half of the carrots, celery and onion. Rub the entire turkey with herb butter and season well liberally with salt and pepper.
4. Put 4 cups of the chicken stock in a medium saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
5. Place the remaining vegetables on the bottom of a large roasting pan. Put the turkey on top of the vegetables, put in the oven and roast in the oven for 45 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Reduce the heat to 350 and continue roasting, basting with the warm chicken stock every 15 minutes until basting with some of the chicken stock every 15 minutes, about 2 to 2 ¼ hours longer. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh should register 160 degrees F.)
6. Remove the turkey from the oven, transfer to baking sheet and tent loosely with foil and let rest 20 minutes before slicing.
Also from Bobby Flay:
For more info: