Preview: Justice in the Heartland

A Young Father's Mysterious Disappearance Haunts a Small Town. Was it Murder?

In May 2005, Michael Golub left work to pick up his young son, Mikey, at the home of his ex-girlfriend Shannon and was never seen again. The 27-year-old's disappearance mystified the residents of his hometown, Johnson City, Kan. - a small community of 1,400 people, where everyone knows each other and each other's business.

Golub had moved to Johnson from California. At first he was a fish out of water, but his heart of gold and mischievous sense of humor soon charmed everyone, including Shannon Albers. The couple's summer fling quickly turned to love and they moved in together and had a child. But the honeymoon didn't last long, according to Golub's friends, who say Shannon became increasingly frustrated that Golub didn't earn enough money, and that the couple fought frequently. Even their son Mikey, the one bright spot in their relationship, was not enough to keep them together. They eventually split.

Both quickly moved on and by 2004, had established new lives with other partners. Golub had another son with his new girlfriend, Brooke, and Shannon married Chad Floyd, whose family is one of the richest and most powerful in Johnson City. But Shannon and Golub were still at odds, especially in matters involving young Mikey.

Immediately following Golub's disappearance, his family became suspicious. They believed Shannon and Chad wanted Mikey to themselves and had devised a plot to get Golub out of their lives once and for all.

Golub's truck was spotted in a remote field, but with no evidence of foul play, the mystery deepened. Plus, Shannon claimed Golub never showed up at her house on the day he vanished. But authorities became suspicious when she and Chad began making plans to move out of Johnson. Their suspicions grew when they discovered that just days before Golub vanished, Chad cashed in on $50,000 in family stock-which authorities allege he was going to claim he had paid Golub to give up custody of his son and disappear.

Golub's family says he would never have given up his son for any price, and there is no doubt in their mind that he was murdered. Yet one piece of important evidence has always been missing: Michael Golub's body has never been found.

Now, "48 Hours Mystery" has brought in two private investigators to examine the evidence and uncover what they think happened to Michael on that summer evening. They reveal new facts about the case and new theories as to what happened to Michael Golub, and why.

Did Golub suddenly leave town to make a new life for himself? Or was he brutally murdered? And if so, would his family ever get justice? It would take two trials to get even close to an answer.

Correspondent Susan Spencer reports for "48 Hours Mystery" Saturday, Dec. 5 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.