NEW YORK - Kyle Rogers, a 23-year-old man who suffered a broken jaw and facial lacerations from a violent sucker-punch in the Bowery neighborhood of Manhattan last weekend, says he was the victim of a "knockout game" attack, reports CBS New York. On Thursday, police released surveillance video of the altercation in an attempt to identify the assailant.
Rogers does not remember getting punched around 2:30 a.m. Sunday. He told CBS New York that he only remembers waking up in an ambulance on his way to Bellevue Hospital.
Rogers and his parents were able to track down surveillance video of the incident. In the footage, a man runs up to Rogers and sucker-punches him before calmly walking away. Police released the video Thursday and are seeking the public's assistance in finding the suspect, who is described as a black man in his 20s.
The Rogers family believes the incident was another of the "knockout game" attacks that have been reported in New York and across the country since last year, where participants punch unsuspecting strangers in an attempt to render them unconscious.
Rogers, whose mouth is wired shut, called the attack "a coward move."
"I'm defenseless," said Rogers. "It's one thing if he was looking me in the face, like squaring up, but, come on, from behind? It's like a coward move."
The victim was walking in the city after leaving his friends at a bar in Manhattan when he was attacked.
"I guess when I fell and hit the ground, I split [my eyebrow] open... and my chin from the punch," Rogers said of his injuries. According to the victim, the attacker was not someone he knew and didn't say anything to him before the incident.
"I just want these kids to stop. I want them to understand that it's not a game. That's the whole thing. They call it a game, and it's not a game," Michael Rogers, Kyle's father, told CBS New York. "People get hurt real bad."
Those with information are encouraged to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS or text 'TIP577' to the number 274637.