Don't think that your cutoff jeans are the best thing to wear all summer long.
Instead, take a clue from the latest issue of Allure, and you'll see that you can be comfortable, glamorous, and yet chic all at the same time.
On Friday's "Focus On Fashion," the magazine's editor-in-chief Linda Wells shows The Early Show five great looks for a summer event.
So if you want to pack light, start by picking versatile, comfortable basics and then loading up on color.. Whether it's orange, green, or pink, color is springing up all over this summer. And so are flat-heeled shoes. You can even wear flats to weddings this summer. If you want a little lift in your shoes, kitten heels are the way to go.
The following are five great looks to pack for your next vacation.
Forget the tracksuit unless you're running a marathon to catch a plane. Put away those too-casual sweats and dress up a little bit with very little effort. The following is a sophisticated, jet-set look that is very practical for traveling.
- Instead of a sweatshirt, a jacket looks crisp and pulled together. An army green one isn't too prim. Bring a wrap that can double as a scarf, a blanket, or pillow on the plane.
- Items like white jeans and an orange tank can be worn again with other pieces over the weekend. Orange is a big color for summer.
- And you don't have to take off these moccasins when you go through the metal detector.
Juicy Couture cotton blazer $176, Bloomingdales
Polo Jeans orange camisole $29 polo.com
Joe's Jeans Rocker white jeans $145, 212-391-5550, joesjeans.com
J. Crew cotton canvas striped bag, $78, jcrew.com
Steve by Steve Madden moccasin $79.95, stevemadden.com
JLo aviator sunglasses $35, Macys
Echo long scarf, $30, Marshall Field's
This is a great look for the beach, for shopping, or grabbing lunch.
- Cropped pants are this summer's version of the Capri pants-slightly shorter.
- Layering tanks gives more coverage and layering different colors looks more interesting.
- These flip flops have an espadrille feel to them.
Vince ribbed tank tops-layered $60 each, Barneys New York
Vince khaki cropped pants $155, Barneys New York
J. Crew Headscarf $34, jcrew.com
Liz Claiborne Sunglasses $30, lizclaiborne.com
Tommy Hilfiger Watch $78, 888.tommy4U
Banana Republic Thong Espadrille $38, bananarepublic.com
Club Monaco plastic and leather tote, $99, Club Monaco stores
We've seen sarongs with Hawaiian patterns and Batik. This one is nice because it's a solid, graphic, a bit more stylish, and could double as a wrap in the evening.
- When you travel light, pick strong colors so your clothes have big impact.
- The kitten-heel flip-flop is more feminine and neater than a flat and gives you a little lift without sacrificing comfort.
Gap Body :
Bikini top and bottom, $24 each, gap.com
Pareo $19.50, gap.com
Cotton canvas bag $29.50, gap.com
JLo aviators $35, Macy's
Old Navy kitten-heel flip-flops $12.50, oldnavy.com
Florals are a huge trend, especially these slightly washed out, English garden party variety.
- Very feminine, airy, light, this dress has tucking and gathering that gives it shape and sweetness/softness.
- The wrap adds a touch of color and is great to have handy when the temperature dips at night.
Twinkle by Wenlan dress $398, Bloomingdales, NYC
Echo wrap $98, Marshall Field's
Carlos by Carlos Santana floral sandals $79, shoes.com
Moyna, $94, moynabags.com
Picture J. Lo at a cocktail party - very sexy but not scandalous, shapely but not revealing, curvy but not skintight.
- Hot pink is very big news in fashion.
- The diamante earrings and bag add some sparkle.
- Silver flip-flops make it more casual, less predictable.
Banana Republic dress $168, bananarepublic.com
J.Lo rhinestone hoops $28, Macy's
Whiting and Davis evening bag $176, 800.827.1112
Old Navy silver leather thong flats $19.50, oldnavy.com