Former "Opie and Anthony" shock jock arrested for assault

NEW YORK - Anthony Cumia, half of the former radio shock-jock team "Opie and Anthony," was arrested Saturday on Long Island, police confirm.

Sources told CBS New York that Cumia, 54, faces various charges, including strangulation, assault and unlawful imprisonment after he was arrested around 11 a.m. in Roslyn Heights. The alleged victim is a 26-year-old woman, sources said. It's unclear what the relationship is between Cumia and the woman.

A police spokeswoman told Newsday that Cumia "got into an argument with an individual that stemmed into this physical violence. That's as far as we're going to discuss this at this time."

Anthony Cumia
Anthony Cumia's booking photo Nassau County Police Department via CBS New York

Cumia's lawyer, Alan Schwartz, said the radio host entered a not-guilty plea Sunday morning and was released without bail. He is due back in court next month.

"Mr. Cumia emphatically denies the allegations brought against him, and is optimistic that when the truth comes out, he will be exonerated," Schwartz said. "Simply put, things are not always what they appear to be, and this case is a perfect example of that."

Cumia, an Elwood native, was fired by Sirius XM last year after the company said he made "racially-charged and hate-filled remarks on social media." Cumia posted a series of tweets claiming he was punched by a woman while he was taking a photograph. Cumia complained it was "open season on white people in this day and age."

He now hosts the online show "The Anthony Cumia Show."