The Early Show's Summer Concert Series had J Records' two younger artist, Monica and Mario, perform their current singles. Monica sang "All Eyez On Me" and "Breaks My Heart." Mario heated up the stage on an already hot day with his successful single, "Just A Friend."
ALL EYES ON MONICA
Grammy winner Monica's new CD is called "All Eyez On Me." Her new single by the same name features Michael Jackson.
Monica says the subject matter she chose for this CD is more serious and could be understood by adults. She co-wrote the songs on her new album and says many deal with real-life situations she has experienced.
Monica first worked with Clive Davis when he was with Arista Records but she has known Davis since she was 13. She followed him to J Records and considers him her musical mentor. "All Eyez On Me" is Monica's first release for J Records.
THE RISING STAR?
R&B singer Mario, 15, is Clive Davis' newest discovery. The frequent talent-show contestant's voice has been compared to that of a young Michael Jackson or Stevie Wonder.
Mario's debut single, "Just A Friend," has already had widespread radio playing time.
Five-time Grammy winner Alicia Keys contributed to two cuts on the album. Keys describes Mario as full of personality and a in possession of a beautiful and original voice.
Mario is from Baltimore, Md. He now lives in northern New Jersey, where he is a sophomore in high school.
FAST FACTS ON MONICA
- Monica Arnold was born in Atlanta, Ga.
- Monica, at the age of 13, was the youngest artist to have two consecutive No. 1 hits on the Billboard Charts.
- Monica made her record debut in 1995 with the release of "Miss Thang." She had two No. 1 R&B singles off that album — "Don't Take It Personal" and "Before You Walk Out Of My Life."
- In 1996, she enjoyed the success of another No. 1 R&B single, "Why I Love You So Much."
- In 1997, she released her sophomore album, "Boy Is Mine." The duet with Brandy became a Grammy winning single and a No. 1 hit for 13 weeks on the pop charts.
- In 1999, "Angel of Mine" became a No. 1 R&B single.
- In 2000, Monica starred in the MTV movie "Love Song." She also had a role in the 2000 Miramax movie "Boy And Girls" starring Freddie Prinze Jr. and Jason Biggs.
- Monica was selected as one of "The 50 Most Beautiful People In The World 1999" by People magazine and she was simultaneously voted one of "The Hottest Stars Under 21" by Teen People magazine.