Watch CBSN Live

Lawsuit: NYPD keeps asking to see my dead husband

NEW YORK - A family is suing the city of New York for repeated raids of their Brooklyn home by the NYPD, reports the New York Post. With each raid, authorities allegedly turn over the home while grilling the family as to the whereabouts of James Jordan Sr. - a man who the newspaper says has been dead since 2006.

"I tell them over and over, 'James isn't here! He's dead! It's that simple. What's so difficult to understand about that?,'" Jordan's widow, Karen, told the paper on Monday. She has filed a lawsuit against the city in Brooklyn federal court.

The Post reports that James Jordan Sr. has been dead for eight years, but that hasn't stopped cops from barging into his family's home more than a dozen times since 2006. The former security guard - who died from diabetes at age 46 - had several arrests, the last one in 1996 for turnstile-jumping, according to his wife.

Karen Jordan told the paper that officers have ransacked her Brooklyn home four times this year alone, always demanding to see her dead husband.

Exasperated, the widow finally just taped his death certificate to the door, the Post reports.

"I wanted it to be the first thing they saw before they came into my home and flipped it upside down," she said. "I can't hide anyone in my apartment. It's not big enough for that. But they keep coming and insisting that he's in my house."

According to the newspaper, law-enforcement sources said James Jordan Sr. had three sealed arrests in 1996. Karen Jordan doesn't understand how her husband's distant criminal history could be causing the raids.

"[The police] will tell me to be quiet or they'll lock me up," Karen told the Post. "So they go through my entire house, turning out drawers, looking in closets, harassing my children and asking them (sic) terrible questions.... I'm at my wit's end."

The Jordans' son, 31-year-old James Jr., said that he was arrested last July when officers rushed into the apartment and he told them his name, the paper reports.

"I told them that my father was gone. They just didn't believe me. When they came in, they came in like a riot team. It was like a raid. Six officers rushed into the apartment and woke me up."

In the lawsuit, family lawyer Ugo Uzoh says that Jordan Jr. and a friend were hit with weapons-possession charges that were later dropped and that he has no other criminal history.

The Post says requests for comment from the city's Law Department were declined.

"My dad's spirit is here," Jordan Jr. told the paper. "But you can't arrest his spirit. I just want my dad to rest in peace. Even when you're dead, you still get harassed."

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue