J.J. Abrams says he won't be helming the next "Star Wars" movie.
Sources told Entertainment Weekly that Lucasfilm, which was recently , sent treatments for "Star Wars: Episode VII" to at least three filmmakers, including Abrams, Brad Bird and Steven Spielberg.
But Abrams, who directed the 2009 "Star Trek" reboot and is currently in post-production on its sequel, "Star Trek into Darkness," says he won't be the one venturing into the Jedi universe.
"I have some original stuff I am working on next," he told EW on Monday.
He expressed a similar sentiment in a recent interview with HollywoodLife.com.
"Look, 'Star Wars' is one of my favorite movies of all time," he said, adding, "I frankly feel that - I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big 'Star Trek' fan growing up, so for me, working on 'Star Trek' didn't have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more then anyone to the next iterations of 'Star Wars,' but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer."
Abrams is also known for his television ventures, which include creating "Alias," co-creating "Lost" and "Fringe" and serving as an executive producer on NBC's freshman drama "Revolution."
"Star Wars: Episode VII" is slated for a 2015 release. Last week, Lucasfilm confirmed that Oscar-winner Michael Arndt ("Little Miss Sunshine," "Toy Story 3") will pen the film's screenplay.
Tell us: Who should direct "Star Wars: Episode VII"?