In the saga of General Motors' (GM) ignition-switch recall, there's yet another faulty product, and this time it's the recall website itself.
In an emailed statement to CBS MoneyWatch, GM said it's working on a fix for its ignition switch recall site, with the goal of having the problem fully ironed out this week. The ignition switch defect has been linked to at least 13 deaths, and has prompted Senate hearings and a record $35 million fine.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on Friday that the site was providing some owners of GM vehicles with incorrect and misleading results. The issue was brought to NHTSA's attention by Senator Barbara Boxer (D.-Calif.), according to the agency's statement. The potentially serious defect? If parts weren't available, the site was telling consumers using the VIN look-up tool on the site that their vehicles weren't recalled, when in fact they were.
"We are making the necessary changes to our website so customers can identify individual VIN numbers," GM said in its email. "We have made substantial progress to resolve this issue and expect it to be fully corrected this week. Until then, if customers have questions about their vehicles, they should call the customer care numbers listed on our website."
The latest twist comes as some GM owners continue to wait for replacement parts. The company said on Tuesday that "parts are flowing and cars are being repaired," but had estimated earlier this year that all repairs wouldn't be finished until October.
The recall website notes that cars are safe to drive if owners remove all items from the ignition key, including the key fob.
For drivers who don't feel comfortable driving the affected cars, there's the possibility of getting a free loaner car, as previously reported.