Fifth Suspect Arrested In OJ Simpson Case

O.J. Simpson leaves the Clark County Detention Center after he was granted bail in Las Vegas, Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2007.
AP Photo/Jae C. Hong
A fifth suspect in the O.J. Simpson armed robbery and kidnapping case surrendered to police on Wednesday, a few hours after Simpson was freed on bail. One more suspect remains at large.

Police say Charles Howard Cashmore, at the time of his surrender, also turned over to authorities a number of items that are among those allegedly taken in the incident Sept. 13th at a casino hotel in Las Vegas.

Authorities say Cashmore, 40, was booked at the Clark County Detention Center on charges including robbery with a deadly weapon and burglary with a deadly weapon.

Investigators are still searching for another suspect involved in the alleged hotel room heist which the former football great described as a sting operation to recover items he believes are his property.

The group of five men and Simpson are accused of breaking in to the hotel room and robbing two sports memorabilia collectors of autographed footballs and other items.

Police did not specify which items Cashmore turned in. He is scheduled to appear in court Thursday morning.

Earlier Wednesday, a judge set bail for Simpson at $125,000. He posted the bond and was released within hours. Simpson was planning to return to his Florida home, his lawyer said.

Simpson, standing in court in a blue jail uniform and handcuffs, furrowed his brow as the judge read the list of charges against him during a 10-minute hearing.

He answered quietly in a hoarse voice and nodded as Justice of the Peace Joe Bonaventure Jr. laid out restrictions for his release, including surrendering his passport to his attorney and having no contact with co-defendants or potential witnesses.

Simpson did not enter a plea.


Photos: O.J. Busted In Vegas
Unlike his arraignment over a decade ago in the 1994 killings of his ex-wife and her friend Ron Goldman, when Simpson declared he was "absolutely 100 percent not guilty," he was subdued throughout the proceeding Wednesday.

"Mr. Simpson do you understand the charges against you?" the judge asked.

"Yes, sir," Simpson responded.

Attorney Yale Galanter said after the hearing that Simpson will plead not guilty.

"Bail deals like this happen all the time in routine cases and it's a good sign that defense attorneys and the district attorney at least are starting this case off on the right foot with good communication and cooperation," said CBSNews.com legal analyst Andrew Cohen.

"The case now is going to slow down tremendously - the next in-court event takes place in mid-October and that's just a status conference to determine where the case goes from there," Cohen said. "In the meantime, I expect there will be a lot of behind-the-scenes negotiations between prosecutors and defense attorneys over potential plea deals."

Simpson posted bond through the "You Ring We Spring Bail Bonds" company, said bondsman Miguel Pereira.

Pereira said he was not nervous about accepting the bond, which can cost between 10 and 15 percent of the $125,000. The company is responsible for ensuring Simpson attends court hearings.

"He's not a flight risk. I have a gut feeling and I'm good at my job," Pereira said.

Security at the courthouse was tight for the arraignment hearing. People entering the courtroom were screened by security officers and Las Vegas police with bomb-sniffing dogs.

The case has attracted a swarm of media, including Marcia Clark, who unsuccessfully prosecuted Simpson for the 1994 murders and was reporting for "Entertainment Tonight."


Photos: Celebrity Mug Shots
Simpson, 60, was arrested Sunday after a collector reported a group of armed men charged into his hotel room at the Palace Station casino and took several items that Simpson claimed belonged to him. He has been held since then in protective custody in a 7-foot-by-14-foot cell.

The Heisman Trophy winner was charged with kidnapping, robbery with use of a deadly weapon, burglary while in possession of a deadly weapon, coercion with use of a deadly weapon, assault with a deadly weapon, conspiracy to commit kidnapping, conspiracy to commit robbery and conspiracy to commit a crime.

"These are very serious charges," Galanter said. "He is taking it very seriously."

Simpson's next scheduled court appearance is Oct. 22.