It's hard to look polished when it's 100 degrees outside. But have no fear; the editors at Marie Claire have some great summer wardrobe solutions that will take you from work to play and make you look cool without emptying your wallet.
Lucy Sykes is the style director at Marie Claire. She put co-anchors Hannah Storm, Harry Smith and Rene Syler to the test. Hannah was the winner.
Though Harry felt confident before the contest began, he did not pick one single outfit right. Julie Chen was hosting.
The following outfits are not only great for daytime, but versatile enough for a night out on the town.
1. The white summer suit is THE suit this summer
- White is essential this season
- It is versatile, from day to evening
- You can punch it up with a fun, bright top
Les Copains suit, $1320
Cacharel striped T, $129.00
Celine gold heel, $395.00
H&M suit, $68.00
H&M T-shirt, $12.00
Joey-O gold heel, $135.00
2. The '50s inspired cocktail dress
- It is great for weekend brunch, and then straight to cocktails
- Halter style and full skirt flatters most all bodies
DKNY strapless dress, $398
St. John open toe heel, $295
Limited strapless dress, $89.00
Naturalizer open toe, $59.99
3. The look here is all about urban chic!
- Wear a cropped cargo with racer-back tank
- For the city girl who knows her fashion, without being a victim
- Metallics are everywhere, in access and fabrication
- Very versatile. It really allows a look to go from day to evening
Dolce & Gabbana racerback, $225.00
Joie cargos, $198.00
Cesare Paciotti Silver Pump, $245.00
C. Martin Silver necklace, $250.00
Club Monaco racer-back, $19.00
Hot Kiss cargos, $46.00
Zara Silver pumps, $89.00
RJ Graziano, $125.00
About Lucy Sykes:
Lucy Sykes was recently named style director for Marie Claire. She was previously Marie Claire's senior fashion editor for nearly two years.
She began her career 10 years ago for "Harpers and Queens" in London as bookings editor. She moved to New York City in 1995 and worked at "Harper's Bazaar." She then worked at "Town and Country" as the magazine's fashion editor for three years. Before arriving at Marie Claire, she spent a year as fashion editor at "Allure" shooting fashion, beauty, and celebrity stories.
She and her husband are expecting their first child at the end of the summer.