Courtney Love Loses Legal Guardianship of Kurt Cobain's Daughter Frances Bean Cobain (Pictures)

(AP Photo/CBS, J.P. Filo)
LOS ANGELES (CBS/AP) Courtney Love has lost legal guardianship over Frances Bean Cobain, the daughter she had with rock legend Kurt Cobain, according to court documents which say the 17-year-old has been placed in temporary guardianship.

Photo: Courtney Love performing at the Bowery Ballroom, March 19, 2004, in New York.

A Los Angeles Superior Court commissioner granted control over Frances Bean Cobain to Kurt Cobain's mother Wendy O'Connor and his sister Kimberly Dawn Cobain.

The court filing does not mention Love or give a reason for the change in guardianship.

Photo: Kurt Cobain.

Love, former frontwoman of the band Hole who was married to Kurt Cobain, who committed suicide in 1994, has fought her own long public battle with drugs.

In September 2005, Love was sentenced to 180 days at a drug treatment facility for violating probation in three misdemeanor cases — one for illegal possession of painkillers, one for being under the influence of a controlled substance in public, and another for assault and battery.

In recent months, Love has been criticized for rambling online postings that have attacked a former bandmate and others.

Photo: Courtney Love with daughter Frances Bean Cobain in May 2001.

A fashion designer sued Love in Los Angeles earlier this year over some of the posts, claiming they were libelous.

Attorney Geraldine Wyle, who is handling the case for the mother and sister, calls it a private family matter and said no other comment would be issued.

Love's publicist Alan Nierob said in an e-mail to the Associated Press he didn't have any details about the guardianship.

The court order, which is valid until February, grants Cobain's mother and sister no control over a trust established by the Nirvana frontman for his daughter.

A three-page order issued Friday was all that is publicly available on the guardianship. It was first reported by celebrity blog TMZ.

Kurt Cobain committed suicide in 1994.