Want to add some hi-tech help in your kitchen - and not spend a bundle while you're at it?
Contributor Katie Lee tested many of the newer ones on the market, and picked several to spotlight on "The Early Show Saturday Edition" to help make your life easier in the busiest room in the house.
The makers of these products claim they assist in chopping, mixing, measuring or stirring. And Katie put them through their paces to be sure they get the job done.
The best part? They're all inexpensive.
The descriptions below were prepared n part with information provided by the manufacturers
MEASURE UP BOWLS
• Literally show you how much you're eating if you're trying to be health-conscious
• Porcelain; microwave- and dishwasher-safe
• Larger bowl interior has pre-measured portions of 1/2, 1, 1-1/2 and 2 cups
• Small Measure Up Bowl has pre-measured portions of 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 cup. Smaller was developed for high fat/calorie dense foods (like almonds, ice-cream, or chips)
• You can buy them separately, or the two-bowl set
• The pair retails for $29.99. On sale at Measureupbowl.com, Delight.com, Target.com
• 100 percent non-stick. Turn your toaster into a Panini maker
• Grill sandwiches, pita, or even make garlic bread. Usable in toaster ovens, too
• Bags can be re-used up to 10 times, just wash with soap and water. Also dishwasher-safe
• Keeps your toaster free of crumbs and drippings
• Great to avoid butter or oil due to this non-stick surface
• Set of 2 is $4.49. The store can be found at Amazon.com/shops
• Bags are snack size and sandwich size
• Bags developed by three environmentally-conscious moms
• Bags are food-safe, re-usable, durable and dishwasher-safe
• Roughly 3.6 million plastic sandwich bags wind up in landfills each year in the U.S.
• Also perfect for holding make up, or pencils, or even acting as a wallet!
• Can help you save money usually spent on plastic
• The baggies are $7.85 snack size, $8.95 sandwich size. They sell LunchSkins via LunchSkins.com
• Chops ingredients with no electricity. Completely hand-powered
• Can also create salsas, pestos or hummus like food processor
• Can chop vegetables, fruits, nuts, herbs, boneless meats or even ice
• Blade begins to coarsely chop and blend your ingredients (for finer results, pull until satisfied)
• The VeggieChop retails for $29.99 and retails at Williams-Sonoma
• Has state-of-the-art voice recognition software; different people can use it
• Keep two lists simultaneously (for groceries, household supplies, or hobbies)
• Name your lists whatever you wish
• It'll categorize your lists by aisle of supermarket store. (i.e. produce, pet care, meats, etc.)
• Flag items you have coupons for, designate quantities, track errands, and add your own unique items/brands to the master library list
• Magnetically adheres to most refrigerators
• Has built-in kitchen timer, and a printer alarm so you don't forget to take your list with you
• SmartShopper sells for $100 at SmartShopperusa.com