It is important to protect flat-faced dogs from the harsh effects of heat and humidity of the upcoming summer months:
1) Walk the dog when it's coolest, either before dawn or after dusk. Avoid taking your flat-faced dog outside during the peak temperatures, between noon and 7:00 p.m. in the summer.
2) Walk the dog in shady areas. Avoid concrete and asphalt surfaces. These concentrate the heat and can burn their sensitive paws.
3) Provide plenty of fresh water at all times, both indoors and outdoors.
4) Avoid strenuous play and activity.
5) Keep the dog inside, in air-conditioning, during high heat.
6) Never leave the dog unattended in a car. The temperature inside a car can rise to over 100 degrees F in just a matter of minutes, even with the windows cracked. And even on a moderately warm day.
7) Avoid obesity (the extra weight just makes it all the more difficult to breathe and tolerate heat).
8) Do not allow dogs to travel in the cargo area of an airplane during the hot or cold months.
Thanks to all the dogs who participated on "The Early Show." Some are available through the rescue organizations or reputable breeders below:
Pajeka Kennels, Staten Island, NY (646) 837-4689
Pug Planet Rescue
For more information on pugs, visit Pugs.org.
Barnes is an AKC registered purebred English Bulldog looking for a perfect forever home. He is 21 months old. He was given as a gift to someone unprepared to care for him. He is playful, almost housebroken, loves all other animals and children. Barnes must be adopted with his friend Brenda who also available through Paws All Around. Brenda is a pitbull mix and is good with children, cats, and other dogs.
Kanabec Boxers of Jersey City, NJ (201) 915-0821
Breeding for health, temperament and conformation.
Forever Young French Bulldogs are all AKC registered and first and foremost bred for great temperament and personality and to be healthy. We also strive and work hard to uphold the breed type and standard. Bred and raised in the home of Kimberlee M. Young, VMD.