Here's a look at the week ahead on our "Sunday Morning" Calendar:
On Monday, the Library of Congress holds an Open House in its Main Reading Room, where librarians will introduce the room's resources and collections to the public.
- Columbus Day Open House at the Library of Congress, Oct. 13, 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- Visiting the Library
- Follow the Library of Congress on Twitter (@librarycongress), Facebook, Flickr, Pinterest and YouTube
Tuesday kicks off "Screamfest" in Los Angeles, described as the nation's largest and longest-running horror film festival.
- Screamfest Horror Film Festival, at the TCL Chinese 6 Theatres at Hollywood & Highland Center (Oct. 14-23, 2014)
- Festival schedule
- To purchase tickets or a Festival Pass
- Follow @Screamfest on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube
Wednesday is National Fossil Day, featuring National Park Service and museum events designed to promote awareness and stewardship of fossils.
- National Fossil Day (nps.gov)
On Thursday, Apple is rumored to be unveiling a new device . . . possibly an updated version of its iPad tablet.
Friday is the 25th anniversary of the San Francisco Bay Area earthquake that killed 63 people and damaged part of the Bay Bridge.
- October 17, 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake (usgs.gov)
- Index of photos
- 20 years after quake, is Bay Area safe? (CBS News, 10/16/2009)
And on Saturday, the motorcycle Peter Fonda rode in the 1969 film "Easy Rider" goes up for auction, with an estimated value of $1 million.