A suicide bomber blew himself up among a group of teens near a crowded shopping mall in the seaside city of Netanya on Tuesday, killing himself and two others. Police said about 30 people were injured, two seriously.
Initial reports said the bomb went off at the entrance to the mall. However, Israel radio later reported that the bomber struck at an intersection near the mall.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility from a Palestinian militant group. However, police announced they had arrested an Islamic Jihad suspect in connection with the bombing. Islamic Jihad said in a statement after Tuesday's attack it remained committed to the cease-fire.
It was the second such bombing since a truce declaration on Feb. 8. Two weeks into the truce, a suicide bomber from the Islamic Jihad group blew himself up outside a Tel Aviv nightclub, killing five Israelis.
Tuesday's bomb went off before 7 p.m. local time (11:00 a.m. EDT).
Netanya is at Israel's narrowest point, 9 miles from the West Bank. The city has been a frequent target of Palestinian bombers, but the frequency has dropped sharply in the past year, with completion of a section of Israel's separation barrier along that part of the West Bank.
The Netanya mall has been a target for suicide bombers in the past. On May 18, 2001, a bomber blew himself up at the mall, killing five Israelis.
Also Tuesday, one Israeli television station reported that a car bomb exploded next to Shavei Shomron, a Jewish settlement in the northern West Bank, while another said the driver was hurt in a huge blast caused by gas canisters in the car.
Neither station reported any casualties. The military had no immediate comment.
Police said they believe that there was a link between the attack near the mall and the Shavei Shomron explosion.
In other developments:
Israel's Security Cabinet on Tuesday decided that the Israeli military government, in power in Gaza since 1967, will be canceled when Israel withdraws from the territory next month, according to participants in the closed meeting.
The decision was made in connection with a discussion over whether Israel would continue to be legally responsible for Gaza after the pullout. Israel contends that its responsibility will end with its withdrawal, but Palestinians and the United Nations dispute that, noting Israel would still control crossing points, air space and the seacoast.
Israel's defense minister Tuesday said the military will deal harshly with soldiers who refuse to dismantle Gaza settlements this summer, adding that some 30 soldiers have so far disobeyed orders.
Mofaz also said Israel and Egypt were close to an agreement on how to secure the Gaza-Egypt border after the Israeli pullout. Israel would withdraw from a military patrol road between Gaza's southern edge and Egypt, and the Israeli troops there would be replaced by some 750 Egyptian officers, who would try to prevent the smuggling of weapons into Gaza.
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon agreed Tuesday to bring the Egyptian deployment to a parliamentary vote, giving in to critics of the move.
Israeli President Moshe Katsav, meanwhile, said he was concerned about increasingly harsh statements and actions by withdrawal opponents.
Katsav spoke a day after what at first appeared like a crude bomb was discovered at Jerusalem's central bus station and travelers were ordered to leave the area. Sappers found no explosives in a package with wires protruding, attached to a 30-pound cooking gas canister. However, a note attached to the package read: "Disengagement will blow up in our faces," a reference to the Gaza plan, and police blamed extremist opponents of the pullout.
Katsav said most Gaza settlers are responsible people, but that "there is a minority that really concerns me, and the statements and acts of this extremist minority could lead to irreversible damage." Katsav said he counted among those extremists several rabbis and politicians.
Several influential settler rabbis have called on Israeli soldiers to disobey orders to dismantle settlements, or to avoid doing service when called up. A growing number of members of Israel's combat units are religiously observant, graduates of so-called "Yeshivot Hesder," or Jewish seminaries that combine study and military training.
Mofaz hinted Tuesday that seminaries whose rabbis urge soldiers to avoid participating in the Gaza withdrawal could be shut down. "I think we will have to think carefully how to deal with rabbis who instruct their students, their soldiers, to disobey orders. They cannot enjoy both worlds," Mofaz said.