The 126th Annual Westminster Dog Show concluded at Madison Square Garden. The Early Show had Best in Show, along with other top dogs. USA Network's Dog Expert David Fry offers all the meaty details of the event.
Here are some interesting facts about the show:
- The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show is America's oldest and most prestigious dog show.
- It is the second -oldest continuous sporting event in the U.S. (The Kentucky Derby is 20 months older)
- A total of 159 breeds are eligible for this year's competition
- This year, the top five dogs in each breed (based on AKC competitions held between Jan. 1 and Oct. 31, 1999) were invited to pre-enter.
- A total of 795 dogs were pre-invited, and 615 accepted.
- Westminster entries for the remaining 1,885 slots (entries are limited to 2,500 total dogs) opened at 8 AM on Friday, Dec. 7, and were filled in less than one hour.
- Celebrities who have previously participated in Westminster include Bill Cosby, Mary Tyler Moore, Joan Rivers and Martha Stewart.