Question-and-answer website Ask.com released a list of the most searched-for celebrity names and entertainment-related questions of the year, using data from over 100 million monthly users to compile their findings.
“People turn to Ask for answers on everything from noteworthy celebrities to breaking news to political pundits,” said Valerie Combs, vice president of communications for Ask.com. “Given we get a significant volume of queries in the form of a natural language question, we can take a unique look at the storylines and trends that captured American attention this year.”
Born just five months ago, infant North West came in at No. 1 on the list, perhaps a surprise given the public's negative attitudes towards her parents, rapper Kanye West and reality TV star Kim Kardashian, though it seems most users were querying in reference to the baby's unusual birth name.
Death was also on the minds of many this year -- "Glee" cast member Cory Monteith came in at No. 3 and "Enough Said" actor James Gandolfini rounded out the top 10. The "Sopranos" star died from a heart attack in June while vacationing in Rome, Italy. Monteith suffered a fatal heroin overdose in his Vancouver, Canada hotel room in July.
Here is Ask.com's complete list of the top celebrity and entertainment search terms and questions for 2013:
1. North West. Why is Kim and Kanye’s baby named North West?
2. Miley Cyrus. What did Miley Cyrus do at the VMAs?
3. Cory Monteith. How did Cory Monteith die?
4. Paula Deen. What did Paula Deen say?
5. Amanda Bynes. Why was Amanda Bynes arrested?
6. Lamar Odom. Is Lamar Odom on drugs?
7. Breaking Bad. When is the Breaking Bad series finale?
8. Reese Witherspoon. Where can I see Reese Witherspoon’s arrest?
9. Fifty Shades of Grey. Who will play Christian in Fifty Shades of Grey?
10. James Gandolfini. Did James Gandolfini die?
Tell us: What headlines or stars do you think should have been included on the list?